Lulea diary - Wafiq's appointment with the dentist

The state takes care of the medical expenses including that of dental for young people in Sweden. The medical authority calls for regular checkups and they expect everyone to turnout. Wafiq missed a dental check-up because we did not give importance to the letter written in Swedish that came in mail box as we thought it’s not necessary to show up since he is not having any complains. 


Well, we should have sent him! 


I received a letter from the Lulea Kommun on the following week. I was fined 450 SEK, about 4,500 taka, since he missed the appointment. I was bamboozled. Being a Bangladeshi middle aged middle class ‘and miser on top of that’ person, I called them. They said a letter was sent with a date and time, the doctor waited, the child did not show up, so I have to pay the fine!

Than they said another appointment is set. This time Asma and I, being law abiding citizens, guided and guarded Wafiq to the dentist’s place so that he does not miss it. 


Wafiq says he liked the dentist. He became a law abiding citizen too. These days, I see him brush two times a day!

Comments